What are the Pros and Cons of Living in Las Vegas? When you think of Las Vegas, you probably think of rolling the dice, playing the slot machines, and walking on The Strip with a drink in hand. Locals know, though, that this is a far cry from everything that Las Vegas has to offer.
Beyond its slot machines, hotels, and neon lights, “Sin City” has the same amenities as any other major city. There are places to shop, eat, see a movie, go hiking, etc. The main difference is the probability of running into Elvis getting coffee or sharing an Uber with a showgirl.
With that said, living in Las Vegas also holds drawbacks. Before you pack your bags and move to Sin City, consider these Con’s alongside the many Pro’s.
1. Hot Summers: The summer months can be brutal, I am not going to lie, with average highs in June, July and August above 100 degrees. Locals are quick to point out that Las Vegas features a dry heat. I have been here for over 25 years and still can’t get use to the summers. However, if you have a home with a pool, it definitely makes the summers more bearable.
2. Gambling: Las Vegas is known for its vices. The city offers 24/7 access to gambling, drinking and other activities that can consume a person’s lifestyle. More than a few people have found their lives spiraling out-of-control in Sin City.
3. Difficulty Finding Work: Las Vegas is not a city that one should move to without already having a job lined up. While the city is great for finding work in the hospitality industry, those with established careers in other fields may struggle to find consistent work. Hospitality jobs in Las Vegas also tend to pay lower wages to start with and the competition for them is fierce.
4. Education: Nevada has been ranked worst in the nation in a highly regarded report card for state education systems. Our schools are way over crowded, with too many students and not enough teachers.
5. You Will Need a Car: It’s about a 40-minute drive from one end of the city to the other, so you will need a car. Public transit is nothing to write home about, but the city is very easy to familiarize yourself with.
1. The Weather: Las Vegas enjoys about 300+ days of sunshine every year and has an average annual temperature hovering around 80 degrees, plus lower humidity to enjoy than most states. Although 3 months out of the year it is extremely hot here, the other 9 months of the year is gorgeous!
2. No State Income Tax: If you like to save money, then you’ll love moving to Las Vegas because Nevada has no state income tax. Luckily, gaming revenue helps out Las Vegas locals in that regard. With the money you save on taxes, you’ll be able to consider buying a home.
3. Outdoor Recreational Activities: You’ll find world-class skiing in Nevada. Plus, there are abundant opportunities for mountain biking, rock climbing, hiking, camping, boating and more throughout Southern Nevada.
4. There is Always Something to Do: Las Vegas is truly the city that never sleeps. You can bet that even off The Strip you’ll find something to do at all hours of the day. When a large portion of the population works during off hours, businesses serve their clientele at different times. So, places stay open later here.
5. Master Planned Communities: Scattered throughout the Las Vegas Valley are various master planned communities for those who cherish the rich suburban lifestyle. These areas are distinguished by the tremendous number of amenities and conveniences they offer local residents. Because of their sheer size, master planned communities can incorporate extensive recreational amenities like lakes, golf courses, expansive parks with bike paths, and jogging trails.
Las Vegas has more going for it than against it, as a place to live, prosper, and retire. Whether or not you take advantage of the world-famous Las Vegas Strip, you will always be able to find fun things to do in the city.
I have lived in Vegas for over 25 years, and I don’t see myself living anywhere else. In my opinion the pros definitely outweigh the cons. You will just have to see for yourself.
Here are the top 10 Reasons Why You Should move to Las Vegas!
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: http://bit.ly/YouTubeOHare